Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Post-Valentine's Day Treat

$19.99. Not bad. Not bad at all.
With Cupid's big day less than 24 hours in the rear view mirror, I strung up this Mikey Powell Voyce for a friend of mine in Chicago. The colors are subtle, but apropos of the day of love. This is one of those sticks that I string for someone else and don't really want to give up.

Speaking of love, where's the love for Mikey. I don't claim to be an expert, but this stick seems serviceable to me and not noticeably different than the regular Voyce. Great Atlantic has the Mikey Powell version of the Voyce on sale currently for $19.99 while the un-Mikey version of the head is going for $64.99. I guess Mikey's endorsement is now worth  -$45.

It's a mystery to me, but I might scoop up (pardon the pun) one or two for my kids. They're too young to know that Mikey is no longer relevant in the lax world, but sadly no longer young enough to believe that their old man ever was. Weird how fast that happened; the Mikey Powell thing. That guy was crazy athletic and as slick as they come.

2 comments:

  1. the cut back at :29 is unreal. I still hate Syracuse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just strung one up myself yesterday. I hate these incredibly pinched heads with a passion. The ball always seems to get stuck in the throat on the sidewall string. gah! Fortunately got it right somehow (skipped a few holes near the bottom and left the bottom string long).

    ReplyDelete