Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Charles Street Legend Comes Down From My Wall.

219 points / 5th in Blue Jay history
Before my mother allowed me to cover my walls with partially nude bikini models and doped up rock stars that had overdosed or choked on their own vomit, my walls were covered with lacrosse posters. You see, before Lacrosse Magazine became obsessed with expanding the sport, they captivated their younger readers. What made the magazine even more special is that with every edition, the over-sized monthly included a Brine Lacrosse poster that the reader could remove and scotch tape to his or her bedroom wall. I know, I know, scotch tape? My mother wouldn't allow me to use thumb tacks and push pins were still a few years off.

I had all the greats back then, Tom Nelson, Brian Wood, Kirk Thurston, Brad Kotz, and Glenn Miles. But front and center was my full size poster of Johns Hopkins legend Jeff Cook. It was a thing of beauty and the ultimate action shot as far as posters were concerned. Cook was about to switch hands and complete a split dodge and stick one of his several goals against some poor sap from North Carolina. On second thought that sappy defensemen may have been Kevin Haus, who really wasn't a slouch, but who cares right? I seriously doubt he's one of our 51 readers.

Cook bagged 6 goals vs UNC in 1981
While on stage this past weekend blazing threw the second verse of " Manic Depression" with the über talented rock band Jason and The Butchers, I caught a glimpse of the half time report during the Hopkins-Maryland game on the big screen. The caption read "Jeff Cook dies at age 50". Bummer! Not only did I struggle to remember the next few lines of that Hendrix classic (that I happen to be completely shredding by the way), I slowly began to drift down the ever-calming seas of nostalgia. I don't hear much about the players from the 80s that inspired me to pick up the fastest game on two feet, except when their kids are playing or they pass away. I try not to forget them and if you have read any of my other posts on this blog then you've heard me mention a few of the greats. Anytime another lacrosse website or Facebook page offers up a "who is the greatest" poll, I always make sure to mention someone from the generation that took lacrosse into the modern age. In fact, I did that this morning. Someone asked who the greatest defensemen to ever pay the game was and I was shocked that I was the only person to answer Dave Pietramala. John Detomasso and Pat McCabe were nowhere to be found either. All of the other players mentioned were modern day players. I think Joel White from Syracuse received 15 votes. This is probably because 40 year old men don't dominate the lax scene on Facebook which in retrospect is probably a good thing. Now give me a second so I can change my vote to Ryan Flanagan.

Was color film available prior to 1982?
I won't go into all of Jeff Cook's impressive statistical accomplishments. You can find them all over the interweb, plus I try to avoid numbers and all things math related whenever possible. I do know that in the early 80's Cook was the complete player/superhero. He was a 3 time All-American, a 1986 Hall of Fame inductee, a US World Team member and he still ranks as one of Johns Hopkins all time point leaders. Not bad for a guy that played with a SAM. At the time of his death the cause could not be determined and quite frankly I'm not interested in finding out what it was. As far as I'm concerned I'm still that 12 year old kid with that poster on my wall, and the only thing that could have killed Jeff Cook is his own awesomeness.

8 comments:

  1. If the cause of death is determined to be awesomeness, please post an update and I'll dial mine back to 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom - great post - saw this and was hoping you would post something. Agree 100% about the players of the 70's and 80's not getting their due; it seems people use the 1989 title game as a benchmark for "modern" lax; when in reality the entire decade of the 1980's was full of legendary talent and games. Middies actually played both ways and attackmen like Jeff Cook dodged hard to the cage - all game long. No waiting for match-up with a "shorty" as is common today.

    With no pro league, the club scene was full of talent as well. MLC and Long Island always went at it for the club title.

    I believe Jeff Cook was a 3x 1st team AA, and also D1 player of the year and attackman of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that Hopkins Team with Cooky lost.... BTW, Jeff Cook was the hardest rider on the planet often touching all 3 defenders to try and get the ball lose. EPIC.

      Delete
  3. Matt, I'm way too young of a guy to take credit for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff was so awesome I can almost overlook the fact that it was an STX poster and he was dodging against John Haus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a nice thread over at laxpower where folks are discussing Jeff. Truly one of the greats on and off the field. http://bit.ly/eRrEf6

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Anon! Someone posted a pic of the poster I was referring too here.

    http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/04/15/memoriam-johns-hopkins-hall-famer-jeff-cook

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post Woody. The only reason I know of Jeff Cook was because of that poster with him and Haus...RIP to a legend of the game. On another note, Petro is indeed the best Dman of ALL TIME. He revolutionized the position and game. He was a pure athlete (a great bball player too)who showed all the youngsters coming up in the 80s' what could be done with a long pole (imagine if he played with the stick technology of today). He gave us all insight of the game to come when a LSM would dominate between the lines and become a huge factor in a games outcome. Thanks to Petro, the LSM is now glamorous position held by the teams best all around athlete. Other long poles of note from the 80's...McCabe was a close to Petro as was Tim Vivian of Cornell. Brian Burlace of MD, for a big man, could do some pretty cool shit with a long pole too. He was one of those kids inspired by Petro.

    ReplyDelete